Software DeveloperFull-Time Position Closing date:
Who are we and what do we do?
Our mission is to help raise funds for charities and good causes and increase awareness of their work. Players of People’s Postcode Lottery have raised more than £500 million for 7,500 good causes since 2005. This funding is transforming lives and communities in Britain and beyond.
Together Novamedia, the creator and owner of the Postcode Lottery format, and the Postcode Lotteries – in the Netherlands, Sweden, Britain, Germany and Norway – was ranked the second largest private charity donor in the world and the biggest in Europe in 2018/19.
Be part of the People’s Postcode Lottery team
We work to create an environment and culture where everyone is able to perform at their best. We were ranked ninth in The Sunday Times Top 100 Best Companies to Work For in 2019. Since the beginning our core values of Fun, Courageous, Sharing and Sustainable have shaped our culture and everything we do.
Each year, we invest up to 4% of salaries into training and development opportunities that will stretch and challenge people at every stage of their career.
In addition to an exciting career, we offer a generous pension, private health insurance that rewards you for being active, life assurance, free gym membership, leisure and entertainment discounts, 36 days holiday plus your birthday off and much more.
We are looking for a talented developer to join our innovative, full-stack, development team creating the next generation of systems for People’s Postcode Lottery. We believe in building great products that deliver measurable value to our users quickly and reliably.
We work together to plan the work, refine the backlog, and build product features. We expect everyone to create and maintain tests and pipelines and adopt practices to continuously improve. You will collaborate closely with your team and with others in the organisation, so we’re looking for a great communicator. You will be comfortable working with modern development practices and methodologies and will be given the opportunity to innovate and influence, whilst working with a wide range of technologies.
We work at a sustainable pace and we spend some of our working week learning new things. We’ll support you in achieving industry recognised qualifications.
Things we are looking for
- You won’t necessarily have all the following but don’t let that put you off applying. We would like to see well-rounded candidates and not someone that satisfies a checklist
- You have experience developing front-end web applications and care about UX
- You have either consumed and/or built REST APIs and are comfortable working with backend services
- You will have worked with a one or more data persistence technologies e.g. RDBMSs, key/value
and document stores, and files systems. We mainly use PostgreSQL
- You can write automated tests at one or more levels of the testing pyramid. We use Jest and
- You offer constructive feedback to your fellow team members in code reviews and pairing
- You know about containerisation. We use Docker
- You understand the lean approach to product development; working in small batches,
incorporating end-user feedback into product design and continuously improving product and
- You want to use continuous delivery methods: deployment automation, continuous integration,
trunk-based development, loosely coupled architecture, and the use of version control for all
production artifacts. We love this but know it’s challenging. We’d like some more help
- You can use git to manage your commits and are comfortable working with Linux systems. We
use Ubuntu for our development environment
Other things that interest us
You won't need all of these but exposure or interest in some of them would be nice.
- Microservice & Serverless architecture, AWS (CDK, Lambda, DynamoDB, SQS,
Kinesis), LaunchDarkly, Jenkins, Bamboo, Typescript, ElasticSearch, Kibana, Python, GraphQL,
Kubernetes, Java/Maven, UX, material design
Office hours for this role are 9am-5.30pm, 37.5 hours per week with options to work flexible hours outwith
the boundaries of core business hours (10am-4pm). However, some evening or weekend work and
being part of an on-call rotation will be required.