Graduate apprentice data engineerFull-Time Position Closing date:
Become part of the People’s Postcode Lottery team
This is a fantastic opportunity to join a dynamic and growing business where people are at the heart of everything we do. We live by our four core values: fun, sharing, courageous and sustainable, and we will expect the same from you. Offering above the ‘average’ holiday allowance at 36 days per year, plus a day off on your birthday, along with a generous pension scheme, free fresh fruit and refreshments in the office, we look after our team! We encourage you to spend days volunteering with our charity partners and we commit to investing 4% of salaries into training each year. Perhaps that’s why The Sunday Times named People’s Postcode Lottery one of the top ten mid-size companies to work for in the UK.
What do we do?
Players of People’s Postcode Lottery have raised more than £500 million for over 7,500 charities and good causes working to change lives for the better. We are an external lottery manager, operating society lotteries on behalf of a wide range of charitable organisations. Our mission is to help build a fairer, greener world by increasing the funds available for charities and good causes.
We are recruiting for a graduate apprentice data engineer as part of the Edinburgh Napier University Graduate Apprenticeship programme. Students are employed as graduate apprentices and undertake a wide range of tasks during their employment in the graduate apprenticeship programme. You will be employed and work at People’s Postcode Lottery, and study on day release study mode, attending classes from 9 am to 5 pm, one day per week at Edinburgh Napier University. This programme will provide opportunities to practically develop and demonstrate your knowledge and understanding of Data Engineering disciplines. You will develop your data skills being involved in the development and support of data platforms, data pipelines, data models, and data science.
Knowledge and Understanding On completion of this programme of study you will have a critical understanding of:
- How to work effectively in agile cross functional teams
- Deliver working data developments and pipelines
- How to work with business stakeholders, translating business needs into working production solutions
- Building data pipelines using latest AWS and other cloud-based technologies
- Data development skills using SQL coding and Python on platforms such as AWS Redshift, AWS S3 and AWS Glue
- Knowledge of best practices and data quality techniques
- Exposure to Big data and data science use cases
- How to design and structure data in structures suitable for end user analytics and reporting
- How to deploy developments using CICD techniques
- Help build and refine data analytic functions and reports
- Help administrate, monitor and troubleshoot systems and data issues
Essential skills required
- Passion for technology and data
- Likes to learn new Technologies
- Ability to solve technical problems
- Good interpersonal skills
- Good team working and communications skills
- In order to apply you should have either:
- Four SQA Highers at Grade BBBB (or equivalent) including computing or maths
- A Foundation or modern apprenticeship in a related discipline
- Relevant work experience (subject to application and supporting evidence)
- Title of the award after year 4 working in the IT Operations team: BSc (Hons) Data Science