Data engineering managerFull-Time Position Closing date:
Who are we and what do we do?
Our mission is to help raise funds for charities and good causes and increase awareness of their work. Players of People’s Postcode Lottery have raised more than £600 million for 8,500 good causes since 2005. This funding is transforming lives and communities in Britain and beyond.
Together Novamedia, the creator and owner of the Postcode Lottery format, and the Postcode Lotteries – in the Netherlands, Sweden, Britain, Germany and Norway – was ranked the third largest private charity donor in the world and the second biggest in Europe in 2019/20.
Be part of the People’s Postcode Lottery team
We work to create an environment and culture where everyone is able to perform at their best. We were ranked ninth in The Sunday Times Top 100 Best Companies to Work For in 2019. Since the beginning, our core values of Fun, Courageous, Sharing and Sustainable have shaped our culture and everything we do.
Each year, we invest up to 4% of salaries into training and development opportunities that will stretch and challenge people at every stage of their career.
In addition to an exciting career, we offer a generous pension, private health insurance that rewards you for being active, life assurance, free gym membership, leisure and entertainment discounts, 36 days holiday plus your birthday off and much more.
We are looking for a data engineering manager to help lead our multi-skilled data engineering team, helping them design, build and innovate the next generation of data platform for the People’s Postcode Lottery. We believe in building great products that deliver measurable value to our users quickly and reliably.
We work together to design, plan, refine, and build product features and look for everyone to be involved in all aspects of our delivery lifecycle. You will collaborate and take a lead role within the data engineering team and working with others across the organisation, so we’re looking for a great communicator. You will be comfortable working with modern data practices and methodologies, comfortable implementing architectures, mentoring and steering direction across multi-skilled teams. You will help to innovate and influence, whilst working with a wide range of technologies.
We work at a sustainable pace, spending some of our working time, learning new things. We’ll support you and help you grow in achieving industry-recognised qualifications.
Things we are looking for
You won’t necessarily have all the following but don’t let that put you off applying. We would like to see well-rounded candidates and not someone that satisfies a checklist.
- Strong people management skills with experience managing multi-skilled teams.
- Experience of leadership/influencing others. We want you to help us develop and mature our teams, processes, and culture with a focus on excellence and business focussed deliveries
- You care about managing technical standards help reduce cognitive load on teams.
- You’re comfortable offering constructive feedback and mentoring to your team
- You will help inform, shape and prioritise the Data Platform backlog
- Comfortable working with and engaging with key stakeholders across the business so good communications skills are required.
- Comfortable with DataOps and DevOps practices.
- Experience in defining and implementing architectural approaches around data platforms and data making the best use of cloud services (ideally with AWS) and modern delivery approaches.
- Experience of data modelling and designing data solutions with performance and the future in mind.
- You have strong experience in developing and building data platforms and data warehouse in the cloud.
- You will come from a technical background using SQL, Python and other data centric tools.
- You can advise best practice on around data architecture, design, develop and testing of data deliveries
- You understand the lean approach to development, ideally with experience of Kanban, incorporating end-user feedback into design, and continuously improving our products and processes.
- We work on a ‘you build it you support it’ principle so you will manage system availability, support and BAU on our data systems.
- Knowledge of legislation such as GDPR, data security principles and experience working with sensitive data
- Experience of working with and managing performance and delivery by 3rd party suppliers
Other things that interest us
You won't need all of these but exposure or interest in some of them would be nice.
Cloud Based data systems, AWS Redshift, AWS S3, Glue, Lake House and Delta Lake architectures, SQL Coding, Python, Use of Machine Learning, Data Modelling,
Office hours for this role are 9am-5.30pm, 37.5 hours per week with options to work flexible hours out with the boundaries of core business hours (10am–4pm).
We offer flexibility and can also support working from home on occasion. Due to the current circumstances surrounding Covid-19, this role will be based from home until it is safe to return to the office in line with government guidelines.
The product streams operate “you build it you run it” which means that sometimes we might need your help outside of office hours, we strive to minimise these, as work life balance is important to us.
Due to the nature of some projects, occasional travel might be required within Europe.